Affiliation: Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, The University of Tokyo
Address: 5-1-5 Kashiwa-no-ha, Kashiwa, Chiba, 277-8564, Japan
I've been studying on polar-sea physical oceanography. I really love to go to the field in the Arctic or anywhere else. Particular insterests are ice and ocean dynamics, and their coupling system. Recent works as publications are concerned with sea-ice modeling, internal gravitiy waves, mesoscalar vortices, turbulence in the ocean, etc.
27. Kawaguchi, Y., T. Wagawa, Y. Igeta, "Near-inertial internal waves and multiple-inertial oscillations trapped by negative vorticity anomaly in the central Sea of Japan”, Progress in Oceanogr., In press, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2019.102240<
26. Bui, O. T. M., S. Kameyama, Y. Kawaguchi, S. Nishino, "Influence of warm-core eddy on dissolved methane distribution in the southwestern Canada Basin during late summer/early fall 2015”, Polar Science, 22 (2019), 100481, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polar.2019.100481, 2019.
25. Nishino, S., Y. Kawaguchi, J. Inoue, M. Kawai, N. Harada, T. Kikuchi, "Do strong winds impact water mass and nutrient and phytoplankton distributions in the ice-free Canada Basin in the fall? A Eulerian approach to detecting their temporal changes”, J. Geophysical Research, accepted, 2019.
24. Wagawa, T., Y. Kawaguchi, Y. Igeta, N. Honda, T. Okunishi, I. Yabe, "Observations of oceanic fronts and water-mass properties in the central Japan Sea: Repeated surveys from a glider”, J. Marine System, 201(2020), 103242, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2019.103242, 2019.
23. Kimura, S., J. Onodera, M. Itoh, T. Kikuchi, S. Nishino, Y. Kawaguchi, E. Watanabe, N. Harada, "The warming of the Chukchi slope through the Barrow Canyon outflow in the 2016-2017 winter", J. Geophysical Research, 124, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JC015093, 2019.
22. Kawaguchi, Y., M. Itoh, Y. Fukamachi, E. Moriya, J. Onodera, T. Kikuchi, N. Harada, "Year-round observations of sea-ice drift and near-inertial internal waves in the Northwind Abyssal Plain, Arctic Ocean", Polar Science, 21(2019), 212-223, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polar.2019.01.004, 2019.
21. Nishino, S., Y. Kawaguchi, A, Fujiwara, T. Shiozaki, N, Harada, T. Kikuchi, “Biogeochemical Anatomy of a Cyclonic Warm-Core Eddy in the Arctic Ocean”, Geophysical Research Letters, 45. https://doi.org/ 10.1029/2018GL079659, 2018.
20. Fujiwara, A., S. Nishino, K. Matsuno, J. Onodera, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Hirawarake, K. Suzuki, J. Inoue, T. Kikuchi, Changes in phytoplankton community structure during wind‐induced fall bloom on the central Chukchi shelf, Polar Biology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00300-018-2284-7, 2018.
19. Uchimiya, M., C. Motegi, S. Nishino, Y. Kawaguchi, J. Inoue, H. Ogawa, and T. Nagata, “Coupled response of bacterial production to wind-induced autumnal phytoplankton bloom and sediment resuspension in the Chukchi Shelf, Western Arctic Ocean”, Frontiers in Marine Science, accepted, 2016.
18. Kawaguchi, Y., S. Nishino, J. Inoue, K. Maeno, H. Takeda, and K. Oshima, "Enhanced diapycnal mixing due to near-inertial internal waves propagating through an Antarctic eddy in the ice-free Chukchi Plateau", J. Phys. Oceanogr., 46, 2457–2481, doi:10.1175/JPO-D-15-0150.1, 2016.
17. Viviér, F., J. K. Hutchings, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Kikuchi, J. H. Morison, A. Lourenco, and T. Noguchi, "Sea ice melt onset associated with lead opening during the spring/summer transition near the North Pole", J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 121, doi:10.1002/ 2015JC011588., 2016.
16. Jin, M., J. K. Hutchings, Y. Kawaguchi, "Sensitivity study of subgrid scale ocean mixing under sea ice using a two-column ocean grid in climate model CESM", Front. Earth. Sic., 9(4), 594–604, doi:10.1007/s1707-0114-0489-9, 2015.
15. Kawaguchi, Y., M. Steele, K. Colburn, N. Shigeto, and K. Oshima, "Upper Ocean Heat Observation using UpTempO buoys during RV Mirai Arctic cruise MR14-05", Jamstec Report of Research and Development, 21, 1–6, doi:10.5918/jamstecr.21.1, 2015.
14. Kawaguchi, Y., S. Nishino, J. Inoue, "Fixed-Point Observation of Mixed Layer Evolution in the Seasonally Ice-Free Chukchi Sea: Turbulence Mixing due to Gale Winds and Internal Gravity Waves", Journal of Physical Oceanography, 45, 836-853, DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-14-0149.1, 2015.
13. Nishino, S., Y. Kawaguchi, et al., "Nutrient supply and biological response to wind-induced mixing, inertial motion, internal waves and currents in the northern Chukchi Sea", Journal of Geophy. Res., 120, doi:10.1002/2014JC010407, 2015.
12. Kawaguchi, Y.,T. Kikuchi, and R. Inoue, "Vertical heat transfer based on direct microstructure measurements in the ice-free Pacific-side Arctic Ocean: the role and impact of the Pacific water intrusion", Journal of Oceanography, 70, 4, pp. 343 - 353, doi:10.1007/s10872-014-0234-8, 2014.
11. Kawaguchi, Y., and S. Nishino, "An observational study of ocean currents and an eddy in the Arctic Ocean using drifting buoys with drogues at selected depth: trial experiments during R/V Mirai Arctic cruse in 2013", Jamstec Report of Research and Development, 18, pp. 29–39, 2014.
10. Itoh, M., S. Nishino, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Kikuchi, "Barrow Canyon volume, heat and fresh water fluxes revealed by long-term mooring observations between 2000 and 2008", Journal of Geophysical Research,118, pp.118436 - 1184379, 2013.
9. Kawaguchi, Y., M. Itoh, and S. Nishino, "A detailed survey of a large baroclinic eddy with extremely high temperature in the Western Canada Basin", Deep-Sea Research I, 66, 90-102, 2012.
8. Kawaguchi, Y., J. K. Hutchings, T. Kikuchi, J. H. Morison, and R. A. Krishfield, "Anomalous sea ice reduction in Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean during summer 2010", Polar Science, doi:10.1016/j.polar.2011.11.003, 2012.
7. Jin, M., J. K. Hutchings, Y. Kawaguchi, and T. Kikuchi, "Assessing ocean mixing under heterogeneous sea ice cover and subgrid-scale brine rejection parameterization in climate models", J. Ocean. Univ. China., DOI 10.1007/s11802-012-2094, 2012.
6. Nishino, S., M. Itoh, Y. Kawaguchi, Takashi Kikuchi, and Michio Aoyama, "Impact of warm-core eddies on distributions of nutrients and phytoplankton in the Canada Basin", Geophysical Research Letter, 38, L16602, doi:10.1029/2011GL047885, 2011.
5. Kawaguchi, Y., T. Tamura, H. Mitsudera, S. Nishino, T. Kikuchi, and M. Itoh, "Numerical Study of Winter Water Formation in the Chukchi Sea: Roles of Coastal Polynyas", Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 116, C07025, doi:10.1029/2010JC006606, 2011.
4. Nishino, S., T. Kikuchi, M. Yamamoto-Kawai, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Hirawake, and M. Itoh, "Enhancement/reduction of biological pump depends on ocean circulation in the sea-ice reduction regions of the Arctic Ocean", Journal of Oceanography, 67, p.305-314, DOI:10.1007/s10872-011-0030-7, 2011.
3. Kawaguchi, Y., S. Nihashi, H. Mitsudera, and K. I. Ohshima, "Formation mechanism of huge coastal polynyas and its application to Okhotsk northwestern polynya", Journal of Physical Oceanography, 40, No. 11, p.2451–2465, 2010.
2. Kawaguchi, Y. and H. Mitsudera, "Effects of alongshore wind on DSW formation beneath coastal polynyas: Application to the Sea of Okhotsk", Journal of Geophysical Research, 114, C10013, 2009.
1. Kawaguchi, Y. and H. Mitsudera, "Numerical study of ice-drift divergence by cyclonic wind with a Lagrangian ice model", TELLUS, 60A, p.789-802, 2008.
1. Nomura, D., Y. Kawaguchi, et al. "Saroma-ko Lagoon Observations for sea ice Physico-chemistry and Ecosystems 2019",BGR, under revision, 2019.
5. Kawaguchi, Y., S. Nishino, and M. Itoh, "Properties of extremely warm and large Arctic eddy", Gekkan Kaiyo, v.44, 10, pp.569 – 576 (in Japanese), 2012.
4. Kawaguchi, Y. and H. Mitsudera, "Effects of downwelling-favorable wind on DSW formation beneath coastal polynyas", Proceedings of The Sixth Workshop on Baltic Sea Ice Climate, Report Series in Geophysics, p.134-145, 2009.
3. Kawaguchi, Y., S. Nihashi, K. I. Ohshima, and H. Mitsudera, "Formation of extensive polynya opening of coastal polynya", the 24th international symposium on Okhotsk Sea & Sea Ice proceedings, p.33-36, 2009.
2. Kawaguchi, Y. and H. Mitsudera, "Numerical study of DSW formation and the transport processes in the Sea of Okhotsk", the 23rd international symposium on Okhotsk Sea & Sea Ice proceedings, p.23-26, 2008.
1. Kawaguchi, Y. and M. Ikeda, "Sea ice modelling and its application", Low Temperature Science, 65, p.131-137, 2007. (in Japanese)